Subaru Canada, Inc. (ďSubaruĒ) values its relationship with you, our
existing or potential customers, suppliers, employment applicants, dealers
and partners, and is committed to maintaining the security,
confidentiality and privacy of your personal information. Subaru has
developed a Personal
set out below, to reflect its on-going commitment to you. Subaru has
laws which apply to the collection, use and disclosure of personal
Officer, even though other individuals within Subaru may have responsibility for management of personal information or may be delegated to act on behalf of the Privacy Officer.
Subaru will be responsible for personal information in its possession or custody, and will also use contractual or other available means to provide a comparable level of protection when the information is being processed or managed by a third party on Subaruís behalf.
In general, Subaru has collected, and will continue to collect, use and disclose personal information for purposes authorized or required by law, as well as for the following purposes:
- to maintain accurate customer records to satisfy legal and industry-wide regulatory obligations (for example, notification of service campaigns and recalls)
- to manage and fulfil individual customer service and warranty-related needs
- to comply with regulatory requirements
- to make annual filings and reports with regulatory bodies, shareholders and creditors
- to establish and maintain communications with you relating to our existing, past or future relationships, and our products, merchandise and services, including responding to your inquiries
- to conduct surveys which help Subaru and its dealers identify ways to better manage their businesses and provide products and services
- to distribute Six Star Review, The Magazine for Canadian Subaru Owners and similar Subaru magazines and publications
- to provide you with information about products and services related to the maintenance of your vehicle and new product offerings
- to promote the sale of Subaru vehicles, merchandise and related services
- to analyse the operations of dealers, suppliers and business partners
- to allow you to participate in Subaru vehicle test drives
- to provide you with communications from Subaru about special offers made jointly with carefully selected industry partners (all correspondence of this nature is conducted or directly managed by Subaru)
- to share some of your information under strictly limited and confidential circumstances with our affiliates, dealers, representatives, suppliers and Subaru business partners such as the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) who assist us in providing products and services and allow us to more effectively carry on our business
- to establish, administer and document training, development and educational requirements and programs
- to establish, administer and document incentive programs
- to evaluate potential suppliers and their staff, make decisions about entering into product and/or supply relationships with them, and to monitor, assess and address these relationships
- to evaluate potential dealers and their staff, make decisions about entering into dealer relationships with them, and to monitor, assess and address these relationships
- to evaluate potential partners and/or co-suppliers and their staff, make decisions about entering into relationships with them, and to monitor, assess and address these relationships
- to implement and manage security programs and internal controls (including computer monitoring and video surveillance)
- to protect Subaru, and its customers, suppliers, dealers and partners, from theft, fraud and similar risks
- to assist dealers in carrying on their business and related products and services, such as warranty and non-warranty services for vehicles, vehicle parts, extended warranty arrangements and financing of vehicle purchases
Unless applicable privacy laws provide otherwise, Subaru will make a
reasonable effort to specify the identified purposes in a readily
understandable way to the individual from whom the personal information is
being collected, either at the time of collection or after collection but
before its use or disclosure.
Subaru may transmit personal information to the United States for some of the purposes described above.
The way in which Subaru obtains your consent to collecting, using or
disclosing your personal information will vary depending upon its
sensitivity. An individual can withdraw consent at any time, subject to
legal or contractual restrictions, by giving to Subaru reasonable
notice. In appropriate cases, Subaru will inform individuals of any
implications of withdrawing consent. Subaru will not, as a condition of
the supply of services, require an individual to consent to the
collection, use, or disclosure of personal information beyond that
required to fulfil the specified purposes.
In certain circumstances as permitted or required by law, Subaru may
collect, use or disclose personal information without the knowledge or
consent of the individual. These circumstances include the following: to
investigate a breach of an agreement or a contravention of a law; where
collection or use is clearly in the interests of the individual and
consent cannot be obtained in a timely way; personal information subject
to solicitor-client privilege; for debt collection; to act in respect to
an emergency that threatens an individual; or to comply with a subpoena,
warrant or court order.
If you want to change the mailings you are
receiving and/or correct your personal information please click here
Subaru will limit the amount and type of personal information
collected to that which is necessary for our identified purposes.
Personal information will not be used or disclosed for purposes other
than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the
individual or as required by law.
Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary to
fulfil the identified purposes, and will be destroyed or made
anonymous as soon as reasonably possible after the original purpose is
no longer served by the retention of the information, provided the
personal information no longer required for legal purposes. Personal
information which has been used to make a decision about an individual
will be retained long enough to reasonably allow the individual access
to the information after the decision, and long enough to exhaust any
access request or a challenge an individual may bring under applicable
All individuals generally have a right to access their personal
information in Subaruís possession or custody. Upon receiving a written
request (mail, e-mail or fax) addressed to Subaruís
clearly identifying the requested information with adequate
identification of the requesting individual, Subaru will inform the
individual of the existence, use, and disclosure of the personal
information and give the individual access to that personal information.
If Subaru is not able to provide a list of the organizations to which it
may have actually disclosed the personal information, it will provide a
list of organizations to which it may have disclosed the information.
Subaru will respond to an individualís written access request, with
information in a form that is generally understandable, within a
reasonable time (generally within 30 days) or will provide an explanation
if additional time is required to fulfil the request. While Subaruís
response will typically be provided at no cost to an individual, depending
on the nature of the request and the amount of information involved,
Subaru reserves the right to impose charges. In such case Subaru will
inform the individual of the approximate cost to provide the response, and
will provide the information upon receipt of payment.
Individuals can question the accuracy and completeness of their personal information and request that it be amended as appropriate. If an individual demonstrates in a reasonable manner the inaccuracy or incompleteness of their personal information, Subaru will amend the information as required. If a request is not resolved to the satisfaction of the individual, Subaru will record the substance of the unresolved request. Where appropriate, the amended information or the existence of the unresolved request will be transmitted to third parties having access to the information in question.
In some situations, Subaru may be permitted to refuse or not be able to provide access to certain personal information, and will upon request provide an explanation. Exceptions to the access right which are permitted or required by applicable privacy laws include: information that contains references to other individuals or contains confidential commercial information (where such information cannot be severed from the record); information collected in the course of investigating a breach of an agreement or in the course of a formal dispute resolution process; and information that is subject to solicitor-client privilege.
If you need to obtain a copy of the form to be used to make access requests to Subaru for your personal information which Subaru may hold, please click here: SCI Access Request Form
Subaru will strive to ensure that the personal information it uses on an ongoing basis is accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used, including information that is disclosed to third parties, and information that is used to make a decision about an individual.
Subaru protects the personal information it holds or controls, by establishing reasonable security arrangements against loss, theft, unauthorized access, use, disclosure, copying or modification. Subaru will make its employees aware of the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of personal information, and will exercise care in the disposal or destruction of personal information. Examples of safeguards include physical measures (such as locked filing cabinets and access cards), organizational measures (such as security clearances and restrictions on employee access to files and databases) and technological measures (such as passwords and firewalls).
Subaru will, on request, provide information regarding its procedure for addressing any complaints made with respect to Subaruís application of privacy laws. Subaru will investigate all written complaints, and if it finds a complaint to be justified, Subaru will take the appropriate measures, including, if necessary, amending our policies and practices.
Subaru Canada, Inc.
560 Suffolk Court
Mississauga, Ontario, L5R 4J7
e-mail at: privacy.mysubaru.ca